Tuesday 17 July 2012

Change


There's a Buddhist view that the two certainties in life are death and change. Nothing stays the same and, rather than resist this, we should embrace it. My work experience suggests that most people are uncomfortable with change, but I've always welcomed it as a chance for regeneration, reassessment and new opportunities.

For nine years I have been a huge fan of The Word magazine. I can't claim to be its biggest fan, because if I did, I know I would be in trouble with a large group of people I have come to regard as friends and who also feel the same as me about The Word.  The Word was written for me, a lover of music, the arts, someone for whom the first flush of youth is a distant memory.  The Word was not just a magazine, it supported The Word Massive, a vigorous on-line community (a community where everyone called me Handsome).  It produced podcasts which were always entertaining, usually funny and often wee-inducingly funny (the Van Morrison and the harmonica story is my particular favourite).  The Word promoted wonderful gigs in a small pub over the road from the its office.  It was the complete package.

The economic climate and the change in the way people consume their media means that The Word's business model is no longer viable.  This month's issue is its last and the website was closed down today.  Someone on the website posted that "It's only a magazine and nobody died.  It just feels like it." and, at first, I felt the same way.  But since the announcement I've realised it is only a magazine. One of the best, but only a magazine nonetheless.  The Word Massive have already shown their commitment to the on-line community by starting another website at www.theafterword.co.uk.  And, if I'm completely frank, it looks a lot fresher and more modern than The Word website.  I've no doubt that the main players at The Word, Mark Ellen and David Hepworth, will move onto new projects which will be equally entertaining.  The other staff (most of whom I know by name, many of whom I've met) will also be huge assets to wherever they work next and I will follow their next steps with interest.  As always happens, life is moving on.

I'll miss the Word a lot, it was brilliant while it lasted, but things change. If you're a lover of music and haven't read it, the latest issue is now available, so go and buy a copy.

1 comment:

  1. +1

    As an aside, you called yourself 'Handsome' and we just went with it. There's a Deepak Chopra tweet right there... :)

    ReplyDelete