Tuesday 1 January 2013

Resolutions


So, another year has raced by, taking me inexorably closer to a lonely, painful death and an eternity of nothingness.

I must apologise.  I always feel a bit gloomy at this time of year.  The nights are dark, it's cold outside and I've got to go back to work tomorrow.  It's also the time when I review the resolutions I set last year and realise that, yet again, I have failed miserably.

The problem I have is that, firstly, I always resolve the same things (get fit, eat more healthily, etc.), secondly, they're always as boring as hell and lastly, they're definitely not what a management consultant would call 'SMART' (if you're not familiar with management objective setting, SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound).

So I'm going to have a fresh look at my resolutions for 2013.  I'm not going to bore you with them all but as an example, 'get fit' has become 'play squash once a week plus 30 minutes exercise (running, cycling) at the weekend'.  'Eat more healthily' becomes 'only eat crisps with two meals a day (except at weekends)'.

I also have a long list of resolutions to implement at work.  I'm definitely not going to outline these here as my colleagues and other stakeholders (sorry, I'm getting a bit carried away with this management-speak) may read this blog.  Let me just say that mind-mapping is the way forward and revenge is a dish best served cold.

2012 wasn't bad for me and hopefully 2013 will be great.  I hope you and yours have a wonderful, happy and healthy 2013 and if there's anything I can do to help you achieve that, let me know.  I'd be glad to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment